Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Week 3: Election




As a continuation lesson to learning about government, students were to choose a leader through an election. The students were extra excited about this project because it was super interactive. The students were responsible for choosing possible candidates, and conducting a preliminary election to narrow down the choices of candidates. In addition, students worked together to create speeches, campaigning for specific candidates, creating posters, ballots, and ballot boxes. It took a several days to do this activity, because the students were so into it. Looking back to the activity, one of my reflective comments about it was that I did pretty good delegating some jobs and grouping students according to their skills and abilities. For example, my strong writers were tasked to help the candidates compose speeches that they would read aloud to the class the day before election. Overall, both the students and I enjoyed this lesson as we were able to put concrete concepts into actual practices. This was also one of the few times I've seen my students so serious while working.

No comments:

Post a Comment