Monday, May 10, 2010

Week 3: Dr. Soil




After students learned about minerals and rocks, the next standard and benchmark to cover was soil. As I was doing my research about soil lessons online, I came across one that was called Dr. Soil. As as an introduction and hook to the lesson, I came in as Dr. Soil. I brought a pair of extra clothes for the day, and rubbed soil all over my clothes. I walked into the class filthy and the students were all curious as to what had happened to me. I got them hooked! I told the students that on my way to the classroom , I was stopped by a student that told me that there was some sick soil that needed help behind their classroom. I explained that I had to help find out what was wrong with the soil by checking for signs in the soil temperature and color. The looks on their faces was priceless. Unfortunately, I was not able to take any pictures of that particular day. Nonetheless, I was so thrilled to see how hooked the students were about soil. That was one of the most interesting introductions we've had in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment