Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Week 2: Introduction, minerals, and rocks


In this first week of actual teaching, I begin with teaching minerals and rocks for science, and U.S. government/civics for social studies. I am realizing the difficulties that teachers are facing everyday in terms of having enough time to teach each subject. One 40 minute block is really not enough to have good instruction for neither science nor social studies. I ask Mr. Johnson about this problem and he says to me with a grin, "welcome to the real world of teaching." We come up with a plan to alternate days for teaching each subject as my master teacher notices that I have difficulty squeezing two subjects in 80 minutes.
The students are excited at this point that there are new teaching strategies being applied in their class. My classroom management skills are being put to the test as my students' excitement gets the best of them.
Mr. Johnson showed me how he uses some technology in teaching his lessons by showing video clips on brainpop. Brainpop is a website that provides cartoon clips of different topics, and Garapan Elementary School is a member of this site. As an introduction to the lesson on minerals and rocks, we watch a brainpop video. I will use this video clip as reference as we learn about minerals and rocks. In addition, I introduce the use of graphic organizers to the class to help us log our learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment